Errata, Clarifications & Additional Information
- Page 7 – In the analysis of Example 1.4, sixth line from the top, the word “Italian” should be "French" (as indicated in the annotation on p. 6, m. 56).
- Page 27 - In Question 4, the text should read: "Which sequential progression is least frequently used in the classical repertory."
- Page 65 – In Example 2.27, the first measure of the second system should be numbered "16," not "11." The score on the website corrects this error.
- Website - The audio is missing for Examples 2.22e and f.
- Page 81 – In Example 3.10, the half-cadential progression (mm. 3–4) should begin with VII43/II on the downbeat of m. 3 as an initial tonic substitute.
- Page 91 – In Example 3.19, the authentic cadential progression (mm. 7–8) should begin with VII65/II (not annotated) on the fourth eighth-note beat of m. 7 as an initial tonic substitute.
- Page 107 - In the passage following Example 4.9, the text states: "Hybrids of this type (antecedent + cadential) rarely modulate." Rarely does not mean never. A small number of hybrids of this type do modulate; in such cases, the second phrase (cadential) may begin directly in the new key.
- Page 121 - There should be no pick-up C in Example 4.22, and the final B in the right hand of m. 2 should be natural; the score on the website is correct.
- Website - In Example 4.6, m.5, the audio is missing for the lower three strings.
- Page 142 – In Example 5.13, the final cadential progression (mm.18–19) begins with II6, as in the previous progression (mm. 15–16).
- Website - In Example 5.12b, the audio mistakenly includes the ending of Example 5.12a, not the ending actually notated in Example 5.12b.
- Website - Supplementary Example 5.33 is comparable to a case of R=½N in that the opening basic idea is notated as a single measure.
- Page 154 – In Example 5.26, m. 5, the annotation for consequent is misspelled.
- Page 174 – In Example 6.6, the cadential progression (mm. 15–16) can be considered to begin with the root-position tonic on the downbeat of m. 15.
- Page 192 – In Example 6.20, m. 13, Vl. 1, the last note should be "E-flat," not "E-natural."
- Website - In Example 6.14, the audio does not include the final chord of the cadence.
- Page 209 – In Example 7.7, m. 2, right-hand part, the last sixteenth note of the first beat should be "A," not F-sharp. The same holds for the first beats of mm. 6 and 16.
- Page 213 - The score for Example 7.8 has some minor notational errors; the score on the website fixes these mistakes.
- Page 218 - Example 7.10, m. 10, the VII7 chord should be placed in parentheses.
- Page 220 - The score for Example 7.11 is missing some inner voices in the final measure; the score on the website corrects this error.
- Website - In Supplementary Example 8.4, the audio omits the music for the final system of the score.
- Page 247 – Example 8.5, the score in the printed book is missing the complete box around the HC of m. 12.
- Page 265 – In the eighth line from the bottom, the word "the" should not appear before "loosen."
- Page 266 – The score for Example 9.2 has a mistake in the harmonic analysis. In measure 12, the upper Roman numeral should be VII7, not VI7.
- Page 276 – The HC symbol at m. 81 is chopped off at the bottom.
- Page 290 - In Example 10.2, m. 38, the left-hand part should be notated with an A-natural, not an A-sharp; the score on the website corrects this mistake.
- Page 304 - In Example 10.12, an ornament is missing in the right-hand melody on the second beat of m. 1; the score on the website corrects this mistake.
- Page 365 - In Example 12.5, from m. 44, beat 3, through m. 45, the extended tonicization brace for the "II" is missing in the annotations.
- Page 369 - In Example 12.7, m. 52, the label "seq." is incorrect; the repeat sign (⁒) should appear there instead.
- Page 393 – In Example 12.13, m. 45, the cadence is an "IAC" (not a PAC).
- Page 397 – Under "Modal Shift,”"in the last line of the second paragraph, the word "absence" has an incorrect space between c and e.
- Page 411 - In Example 12.19, m. 36, third beat, the first sixteenth-note in the left-hand part should be "G" not "F"; the score on the website corrects this mistake.
- Page 488 - The figure should be labeled “14.1” (not 4.1).
- Page 514, In Example 14.18, the expression "(R = 2N)" should be included with the caption.
- Website - In Example 14.15b, the audio begins on the downbeat of m. 62.
- Page 610 - In Example 18.1, m. 2, the bracket for the basic idea should extend to embrace the second beat of the bar; the contrasting idea begins with the upbeat to m. 3.
- Page 619 - In Example 18.6, the annotation "early" inelegantly bumps up against the PAC symbol.
- Pages 636–37 - Example 18.16a and Example 18.16b reflect a real-to-notated measure ratio of R=2N.
Page 650 - In Example 19.4, m. 47, right hand, the last two eighth-notes should be "E–D-sharp" (not F-sharp–E); the score on the website corrects the mistake.
- Page 652 - In Example 19.5, m. 16, the harmony on the downbeat is a dominant triad; the seventh does not enter until the second sixteenth-note of the measure.
- Page 654, Example 19.6: the second phrase (mm. 21–24) is perhaps better understood as a continuation than a consequent, due to the sequential harmonies and the sense of fragmentation accorded by the fz on the second half of beat one in mm. 21–22.
- Page 655 - The first note of Example 19.7 should be B-natural; the score on the website is correct.
- Page 666 - In the caption to Example 19.12, the reference to "couplet 2" should instead be to "couplet 1."
Page 668 - In the caption to Example 19.13, the phrase "refrain 3 begins at m. 74" should be added to the second sentence.
- Page 669 - In the caption to Example 19.14, the reference to "couplet 2" should instead be to "couplet 1."
- Page 670 - In the caption to Example 19.15, the reference to "Couplet 3" should instead be to "Couplet 2."
- Page 670 - In the caption to Example 19.16, the reference to "couplet 4" should instead be to "couplet 3."
Index of Musical Compositions
- Page 718 - The citation for Beethoven, Piano Sonata in A-flat, Op. 26, i, should read: "Op. 26 in A-flat, i (Ex. 6.1), 167"
- Page 719 - In the Haydn, Piano Trios, the Hoboken numbers are out of order, with H. 25 and H. 26 incorrectly following H. 30.
- Page 720 – The page reference for Mozart’s Piano Sonata in C, K. 279, ii (Ex. 5.37) should be 163 (not 167).
- Page 732 - In the entry "reinterpreted half cadence," the period after 296 should instead be a comma.
- Page 724 - In the entry "consequent, failed," reference should also be made to pp. 246–47.