Final Exam (Fujinaga, December 1997)
(5 points per question)
1. What is the advantage of using Chebyshev polynomials for sound synthesis? Derive T9(x).
2. What is the difference between amplitude modulation and ring modulation. Why do they sound different? Give examples using 400 Hz carrier frequency and 600 Hz modulation frequency.
3. Explain how the constant Q bandpass filter works and its advantages over the non-constant Q bandpass filter.
4. What is an advantage of using LPC in signal transmission? Describe three musical applications.
5. What role does Bessel function play in FM synthesis. Define a Csound instrument using focsil so that only the odd harmonics will be present.
6. Explain Karplus-Strong synthesis. How does one specify the pitch? Give an example for 300 Hz tone (assume 44.1kHz sampling rate).
7. What is FOF and how is it related to granular synthesis. Why is FOF not a pure physical modelling synthesis.