Mid-term Exam (Fujinaga, Spring 1997)
Write your answers in the blue exam booklet. Return this exam.
(Each question is worth 10 points.)
1. Explain how to convert 48000 Hz sample rate to 22050 Hz sample rate without changing pitch, using 6 stage interpolation and decimation.
2. What is the difference between amplitude modulation and ring modulation. Why do they sound different?
3. What are advantages and disadvantages of additive synthesis.
4. Explain how constant Q bandpass filter works and its advantages.
5. What is an advantage of using LPC in signal transmission? Describe three musical applications.
6. What role does Bessel function play in FM synthesis.
7. Explain Karplus-Strong synthesis.